Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never forget


I will never forget where I was and how I felt on September 11, 2001. I was driving to school and I had heard on the radio a plane had crashed into the WTC. To be honest I didn't think much of it, I pictured a small prop plane accident. My first bell was study hall and for some reason it was in the cafeteria that day so the tvs weren't in eyesight, I kept seeing the teacher monitors acting strange and whispering to each other. Then I heard one of them say a large commercial plane hit the WTC. At that point I was curious after remembering my thoughts earlier from the radio announcement. One of my favorite teacher's classroom was right next to the cafeteria so I got up and left (despite one of the monitors approval) and walked in as I saw her  t.v. was on. About five minutes later we watched as the second plane hit live. All day the teachers had the t.v. on and everyone pretty much just watched in silence, no work. Some parents even picked up their children from school afraid that we were now at war and none was safe, not even in our small Indiana town. I also had co-op work that day as a cashier. I didn't want to go but I am glad I did. To experience each customers emotion that day was something I also will never forget. It was like everyone was in a state of mourning and very friendly/family like to complete strangers. I remember being obsessed with watching the jumpers feeling complete horror. It broke my heart, I cried and cried. I cried for the victims, the heroes, the family members of the lost, my future, children's future, and our country. It was a big wake up call being a senior in HS during 9/11. 

One of my best friends worked at the NYSE at the time. I will never forget his story. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing but those who actually lived through it can tell you every second of every moment that day and you feel as if you were there too. You can read his and others blackberry messages to friends and family that day HERE .

1 comment: